On 04/02/2019 07:47, Dale wrote:
How do you, especially those who admin systems that are always being
hacked at, generate strong passwords that meet the above?  I've googled
and found some ideas but if I use the same method, well, how many others
are using that same method, if you know what I mean.  ;-)  Just looking
for ideas.

I don't use a password manager. For website logins, I just use the password manager in the browser (Firefox), which does not use a master password :-P I just assume my own system is not going to be compromised.

For the websites I use, I generate a unique password per site using this command:

$ pwmake 128

This generates a password using 128 bits of entropy from /dev/urandom. You need dev-libs/libpwquality being installed (it's a dep of something important, I think, so should be installed on most systems already.)

For remote systems I administer through SSH, I don't use passwords. I use a public/private key pair to log in (4096 bits.) My private key is protected with a strong password though, but it's easy to remember since it doesn't need to change. Something like:

ilp&mac4d@4*r

Which is short for:

I like pizza and macaroni for dinner at four star restaurants.