On Tuesday, 5 February 2019 10:13:44 GMT Dale wrote:

> After seeing your reply, I realize I just type the command and it
> prompts me for a password.  I ctrl c to exit.  Well, ain't that
> something?  You can stop laughing now.  ;-)
>
> It seems to think helloworld and reallysecurepassword is OK.  I have to
> question just how good this tool is at this point.

Quite!

I think the cracklib acceptance parameters are not as strict as they could
have been for modern computing, but I don't know how to tweak them.  With
johntheripper you have many options to tweak the characters tested, length,
etc. when checking a password.

PS.  I wasn't laughing at you, I was laughing at the passwords cracklib
thought were OK.
--
Regards,
Mick