On 2020-05-21, Ashley Dixon <a...@suugaku.co.uk> wrote:

> There is also [1], which is a slightly improved version of  Oberdiek's
> pdfcrop.
> It uses pure GhostScript and Perl to work around some of the caveats of
> pdfcrop,
> including  preserving  interactive  content  (such  as  hyperref  links  in
> TeX
> documents) and allowing you to avoid emerging the huge texlive-core package
> for
> one small utility.
>
> [1] https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/42259/

I don't see any pure Perl/Ghostscript utility in that thread.  There's
a bash program, but it doesn't support compression in input files.

The pdfcrop.pl included in texlive seems to work OK with compressed
input files, but the output filesize balloons up by about 6X.

This app did work beautifully with no fuss:

  https://pypi.org/project/pdfCropMargins/
  https://github.com/abarker/pdfCropMargins

I can remove the crop marks from a PDF book, and then keep as much or
little of the remaining whitespace margins as I want.  The output file
is smaller than the input file (which is sort of what you'd expect
when you're removing stuff).

Now I can uninstall TexLive until the next time I need to tweak my
résumé. :) I usually do have TexLive installed, but a while back it
was causing a blockage when trying to do an update. So I uninstalled
it in order to get on the the 'emerge -auvND world' and never got
around to re-installing it until today.

--
Grant