*   From: Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>
  *   Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 08:02
  *   To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org<mailto:gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
  *   Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video
with NVIDIA driver

     *   Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
     *   nomodeset did not change anything, but adding EFI_FB to the kernel
finally got me a functional console.
     *   But if I startx from there I am back again to the same point, no X, no
console switching with CTR-ALT-Fn,
     *   no crash in syslog, I have to SSH to get to a working shell. I'm not
getting anywhere, I think I'll better install from stage3.

  *   Odds are, if you start from stage3, you will get the same problem again
unless you do something different.
  *   When I first stated using Gentoo, I didn't realize that one can restart a
install pretty much anywhere in the install.
  *   Starting over doesn't get you anything different if you repeat the same
steps.

Just to update: I tried all the hints received here with no luck. Since others
on this list managed to get uefifb working with the NVIDIA driver I believe the
problem could be my mobo/UEFI FW/GPU combination. I found some rather old posts
([1], [2]) supporting this hypothesis. For the moment I switched to nouveau.

Thanks again to all,

raffaele

[1]
https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/uefi-nvidia-vga-console-complaints/37690