From: Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 08:02
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with
NVIDIA driver

Raffaele BELARDI wrote:

nomodeset did not change anything, but adding EFI_FB to the kernel finally got
me a functional console. But if I startx from there I am back again to the same
point, no X, no console switching with CTR-ALT-Fn, no crash in syslog, I have
to SSH to get to a working shell. I'm not getting anywhere, I think I'll better
install from stage3.

Just one more info, when issue 'halt' from the SSH OpenRC scripts are executed
up to the 'mount-ro' (or similar) script, which fails with

"Remounting / ro failed because we are using /"

And the process hangs there, I need to hit the power switch to power off.

Thanks to all who contributed,

raffaele

Odds are, if you start from stage3, you will get the same problem again unless
you do something different.  When I first stated using Gentoo, I didn't realize
that one can restart a install pretty much anywhere in the install.  Starting
over doesn't get you anything different if you repeat the same steps.

Since you can ssh into the machine, I'd grab log files and post them here.  I'd
look into sddm.log and Xorg.0.log.  If you see other logs such as rc.log, I'd
post them as well.  Surely something in one of those will shed some light.  It
has to be easier than starting over and most likely having the same issue
again.  I used ls -al /var/log/ | grep log to see what all types of logs were
there.  You may have some I don't or use different tools that generate other
logs.

Here are some logs from the original config (the first one that was working on
HDD but not on SSD), so before before I stopped X/added nomodeset/added FB_EFI.
There is no DM log, it never gets to that point.

Raffaele