nomodeset did not change anything, but adding EFI_FB to the kernel finally got
me a functional console. But if I startx from there I am back again to the same
point, no X, no console switching with CTR-ALT-Fn, no crash in syslog, I have
to SSH to get to a working shell. I'm not getting anywhere, I think I'll better
install from stage3.

Just one more info, when issue 'halt' from the SSH OpenRC scripts are executed
up to the 'mount-ro' (or similar) script, which fails with
"Remounting / ro failed because we are using /"
And the process hangs there, I need to hit the power switch to power off.

Thanks to all who contributed,

raffaele