On 27/08/2020 02:31, Grant Taylor wrote:
>     - SRS (mail-filter/libsrs2) []
>        - emerge -a mail-filter/libsrs2

I have been quietly following this discussion and I've seen SRS being
mentioned a number of times.

Now, I know what SRS _does_ (perhaps not fully?) to prevent unintended
rejection by a receiving MTA due to SPF policy and I know it's highly
recommended if not mandatory for any sensible MTA set-up (allegedly).

However, I'm less aware of the actual use cases where it is absolutely
necessary to prevent above issues with SPF. Is SRS only relevant for
MTAs that do any sort of forwarding/open relay?

Oddly enough, I find some of the explanations I came across (including
Wikipedia) fairly atrocious compared to SPF, DKIM, and DMARC which are
perfectly explained and their use-cases are very clear. Though frankly,
these three are fairly self explanatory themselves for anyone with
technical background.

I have been running my own MTA for just under a decade without SRS (but
with the rest of the above) and never had issues with delivery - be that
local or remote. However, I have explicitly disabled open relay and do
not make use of any forwarding maps.

It makes me wonder - am I missing something and have I just been lucky?

- V