On 13/09/20 13:26, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> So I'm still left wondering what to do. I'm happy that the hardware isn't on
> the blink, anyway.

Can you use gdisk to create a new partition in some empty space on the
disk, delete it again, and write a partition table? Basically anything
to get gdisk or gparted to actually write a new partition table (that
should be the same as the old one, of course).

If there are hidden problems that udisk or whatever is picking up on -
garbage data somewhere most likely - that's the most likely way of
clearing it.

Cheers,
Wol