This is one of those frustrating times where portage is trying to do something silly.

I have nvidia-drivers installed. It has a dependency to virtual/linux-sources.

The problem is it's always trying to pull in unstable packages when I have two slotted kernels in world:

sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:5.4.48
sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:5.4.66

I tried masking kernels >5.5 but now it's trying to pull in unstable kernel 5.4.70.

I do not run unstable kernels, and have two stable kernels installed.

Why is portage insistent on pulling in sys-kernel/gentoo-sources (non-slotted) when two slotted entries already exist?

I do not want to install unstable kernel sources as I don't use them and am trying to spare the thousands of unnecessary writes on my SSD. Whenever I update I check to see if there's a new stable kernel available manually and update to it if needed.

Dan