from the...@sys-concept.com:

> Manual approach might be confusing and prone to errors.
> I will try Gparted as you suggested but I was wondering if it will allow
> me to combine/join partitions.  On most modern system I think there is:
> 1 - boot partiton
> 2 - swap if needed
> 3 - root partition (where home is as well)

> My current layout is old one:
> dev/sda1              /boot           ext2
> /dev/sda3             /               ext4
> /dev/sda2             none            swap
> /dev/sda4             /home   ext4

> Is it possible with Gparted combine "/" and "home" partitions, or is it
> as simple as coping all file from "home" partition to "/" home folder.

I never used parted or gparted, but prefer to put "home" in a different
partition.

That way, if you mess up or otherwise have to reformat the root partition, home
is unaffected.

Also, you can access the same home partition from more than one OS installation
that can read/write the file system, in this case ext2 or ext4.

Tom