On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 02:49:10 -0600, Dale wrote:

> the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> > or is it
> > as simple as coping all file from "home" partition to "/" home folder.
> >

> That's what I would do.  First, umount /home.  Mount /home somewhere
> else like /mnt/tmp or something.  Copy everything from /mnt/tmp to
> /home.  Make sure to remove any entries in fstab for /home too.  Then
> umount /mnt/tmp and carry on.  I don't think I'm missing anything.

Or you can bind mount / somewhere and copy /home to home on the bind
mount, saves unmounting anything.

mount --bind / /mnt/tmp
rsync -a /home/ /mnt/tmp/home/

> I'm with Thomas tho, I've always kept /home on a separate partition.  It
> has made things easier when I have to reinstall, lose a drive etc etc.
> Things happen and having eggs in separate baskets can help.  That said,
> if it will work best for your needs or circumstances or both, then it is
> what it is.

Agreed, it also helps with backing up you are likely to have different
requirements for backing up the OS, which is replaceable, and your data,
which isn't.

--
Neil Bothwick

First Law of Laboratory Work:
Hot glass looks exactly the same as cold glass.