On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 23:19:00 +0100, n952162 wrote:

> > Okay, I've never done a depclean.  Is that something I need to do?  I
> > mean, I'm always worried it'd remove something that I need, but given
> > all the problems I have, I guess that'd be the lesser of evils...

Yes you should, t keep your system consistent. You should also heed the
messages about unread news items and updating config files as these can
also have a bearing on keeping your system running smoothly.

> Oh that went fast.  But just as I expected ... it's going to remove
> kernel/gentoo-sources?  gcc?  The llvm that took 5 hours to compile?

Read it again. It wants to remove some versions of those but not the
latest. When you install a new kernel or compiler, portage generally does
so in a separate slot, so you have access to both old and new versions.
If you are no longer using the old version, you should let it go.

--
Neil Bothwick

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
 (Albert Einstein)