n952162 wrote:

> On 12/14/20 4:54 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
>>> Okay, is the solution then to re-install?
>> That's _a_ solution, and might be less work.
>>
>> But, if you're not going to update more regularly, you're probably
>> going to keep running into situations like this. They will require a
>> methodical approach, a good understanding of how portage works, and
>> will end up taking up more of your time that would updating once a
>> week.
>>
>> --
>> Grant
>>

> One thing about frequent updating...  I thought I was following the
> advice here by developing a procedure to update at the start of every
> month.  When I did that, llvm, rust, clang, firefox, and thunderbird
> would rebuild every time, for an average of 4 to 8 hours a piece.  If
> those things - or their dependencies - are triggered that often, then
> it's likely I'll be building them almost every week instead of every
> month.

I run unstable on Firefox and it seems to update here about every two
weeks or so.  It does vary tho.  If you run stable, it may not update as
often.  If build times are a problem, there is a binary version
available.  I'm not sure what the default settings are for it tho.

It seems rust updates about once a month but it to varies a bit.  I'm
almost certain I run unstable on it as well.

For llvm, it goes a while without a update.  I show one in May, one in
July, one is September and the last one in November.  About every other
month it seems.

It seems we perceive some packages to update more often than they do.  I
guess we remember having to wait for them more than we do small
packages.  This is where genlop -t comes in.  It will tell you the
compile time and shows dates it was done.  I used to swear that OOo was
updated every week.  It took some looking to figure out, it just seemed
that way.

If you are able, maybe you can compile the bigger packages on a faster
system?  If it is a option, it may help.

Dale

:-)  :-)