On Thursday, December 10, 2020 4:23:09 PM CET n952162 wrote:
> I need a new mainboard.  What will happen if I boot my existing system
> on it?
>
> If it would come up, what would need to be (re)emerged, as a minimum?
>
> TIA

Unless you really reduced the drivers available on your system or you're going
to a lesser system (64 -> 32bit, or something like that), I would expect the
system to simply boot.
If not, you only need a live-cd/usb/... and rebuild the kernel and any drivers
your new system needs.

It's not MS Windows that might try to load incompatible drivers and ends up
with a blue-screen.

Personally, however, I tend to use a new system as an excuse to clean up my
install and start from scratch. Especially as I always tend to pass my old
system on to a family member or friend.