Thank you (all).

On 12/10/20 10:53 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 4:18 PM n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:
On 12/10/20 7:18 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM n952162 <n952...@web.de> wrote:
I need a new mainboard.  What will happen if I boot my existing system
on it?
Is the CPU going to be the same?  The responses already cover the
mainboard itself well.  If the CPU could change then you need to check
your -march in CFLAGS for compatibility (if you set it) and
potentially rebuild anything you don't want to break.

How would I do that?  Would I have to set up a cross-compiler toolchain?
Nope, just remove -march from your CFLAGS (maybe change it to -mtune)
and emerge -e @world (or @system if you don't care if non-system
packages are broken on the new system).

It is only necessary if you're switching CPUs.  If you're using -march
then your binaries are not guaranteed to run on ANY CPU other than the
one specified, and you'd be surprised how non-backwards-compatible
CPUs can be.  With gcc the -march option tells the compiler that it
can use any instruction it can to optimize things, including ones that
are very uncommon on other CPU models.  -mtune makes optimizations but
the code will run on any CPU for that architecture.

You can try to find a least-common-denominator CPU but it usually
isn't worth the hassle.