Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:37 PM Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com
> <mailto:markkne...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > <SNIP>
> > > I have looked into OpenNAS and other NAS OS stuff.  Some are on
> USB sticks and basically, you shut it down, upgrade the USB stick,
> insert it back into NAS and boot up.
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > The first version of TrueNAS I used was on a USB stick and it worked
> fine so I'm fairly confident you'd be at least functional.
>
> One last thing for now - if you do buy a used MB do some research into
> whether it will actually boot from USB. One of the ones I bought
> actually did not do that so I had to dig up a old DVD drive to install
> from a CD.
>
> - M

I've got a older donated machine that doesn't boot from USB too.  The
newer donated machine does, I've booted from USB sticks before.  I'm
going to pull the side off and see how many drives it can hold and such
in a bit.  If I gather up enough steam.  As it is, I only need three at
the moment, four maybe later.  Most come with six but this is a factory
built machine.  I can't recall what it comes with.

Dale

:-)  :-)