On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:21 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
> I have looked into OpenNAS and other NAS OS stuff.  Some are on USB
sticks and basically, you shut it down, upgrade the USB stick, insert it
back into NAS and boot up.
<SNIP>

The first version of TrueNAS I used was on a USB stick and it worked fine
so I'm fairly confident you'd be at least functional.

One advantage of starting out this way was is that you can try multiple NAS
systems on different flash drives without making a hard commitment.

Keep in mind stuff like log files gets written to the OS drive whether it's
a flash drive or not so long term it wasn't a solution I wanted to stick
with long term. In my case I have about 30 old hard drives from old
machines so I just found one and used it. In my case it was a 1TB WD Green
drive circa 2012 that I purchased for a RAID but learned the hard way not
to use. ;-)

Whatever you do, have fun.

Cheers,
Mark