Am Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 07:09:32AM -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 4:27 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > I looked into the Raspberry and the newest version, about $150 now,
> doesn't even have SATA ports.  I can add a thing called a "hat" I think
> that adds a couple but thing is, that costs more and still isn't enough.  I
> really don't like USB and hard drive mixing.  Every time I do that, the
> hard drive turns into a door stop.  Currently, I have three Rosewill
> external enclosures and they have USB and eSATA ports.  I use the eSATA
> connections and no problems.  It's also really fast.  So, I plan to stick
> with SATA connections.

Is there a particular reason why your mailer inserts the quote character
only on the first line of a quote paragraph? It makes reading your replies a
little difficult because it is not visible on first glance where your quote
ends and your reply starts.

> You do NOT want  the Rasp Pi for this. You would have to compile and
> maintain the OS yourself just adding work and the disk interfaces aren't
> high performance enough.

Why is that? My raspi runs on bog-standard Raspberry OS (i.e. Debian). I am
also evalutating Arch on arm. Both don’t require any compilation or manual
maintenance on my part. Just the regular updates via the package manager.

> The speed of a NAS is _mostly_ a balance between network speed and disk
> speed. Processor usage for me is generally about 20%. If your network is
> GigaBit then you can sustain somewhere about 850Mb/S on the cables which
> translates nicely to about 100 MegaByte/S on your disk drives.

If the NAS is attached via gigabit only, I would bot concern myself with not
saturating. Those 117 MB/s is nothing a drive can’t handle in most cases.
(Especially if used in a RAID in whatever form).

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

„Someone who defines a problem already solved half of it. “ – Julian Huxley