Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2022-10-26, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> If you use an x11-based merge tool then it will also refuse to attempt
>>> an automatic
>>> merge if X11 isn't available.  (Obviously you can't actually run the
>>> manual merge if the tool uses X11 and that isn't available.)
>>>

>> I'd like to try a GUI based tool.  Is that what you talking about?  If
>> so, name or what package has it?
> At one point, I had one of my systems configured to use "meld" when I
> picked "interactive merge" in the etc-update menu, but I've since gone
> back to just picking "show differences" in the etc-update menu, then
> manually running merge on the two filenames shown. With the
> interactive merge option, I was always a bit confused about which file
> was the destination and what happened after I exited meld.
>
> --
> Grant

I've tried etc-update and dispatch-conf and I can't figure out either
one of them when it comes to merging.  I'd like a GUI tool where I can
click the one I want to keep with my rodent and then save.  Like you, I
get confused trying to select things and then have no idea if I'm about
to royally screw something up.  I end up doing a ctrl c, restarting
update tool and zapping the new file and praying that didn't break
anything either.

I have the default settings so there may be a better way but I just
don't know what.  I sometimes wish there was a video showing different
methods of managing config files and me picking what makes sense to me.

I might add, a good while back I started doing updates in a chroot and
then using -k on my main system.  Since then, I don't see config updates
hardly at all.  I wonder if building in a chroot affects that.

Dale

:-)  :-)