Can anybody recommend a replacement for ddclient as a dynamic IP
service updater? I've been trying to use it for decades, and there
have been periods when it works as it's supposed to. But, usually it
doesn't, and I'm sick of fighting with it.

At the moment, it _always_ tries to do an update for reasons I can't
figure out. It has also started says that the last update attempt
failed even though it worked fine.

I've tried deleting the cache file so many times I've lost count, but
that never helps.

It has also started warning about the file mode for /etc/ddclient.conf
even though it's set exactly the way the warning says to set it:

    # ls -l /etc/ddclient.conf
    -r-------- 1 ddclient ddclient 509 Jun  3 08:36 /etc/ddclient.conf
    # ddclient
    WARNING:  file /etc/ddclient.conf: file /etc/ddclient.conf should be owned
only by ddclient or not be writable.
    WARNING:  file /etc/ddclient.conf: file /etc/ddclient.conf should be owned
only by ddclient or not be writable.
    CONNECT:  checkip.dynu.com (IPv4)
    CONNECTED:  using SSL

And then it _doesn't_ warn you when it's unable to create a cache file
or find a cache file (which then causes it to misbehave).

I keep thinking that the next update might fix things, and sometimes
it does, but then something else is usually broken.

--
Grant