On 2023-06-09, Robin Atwood <ro...@binro.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 03:11:57 -0000 (UTC)
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> They have a nicely documented API, and the server does support HTTPS,
>> so it may be time to write my own DDNS client daemon.
>
> Doesn't your router have a Dynamic DNS function?

Yes (OpenWRT), but the last time I tried it, I couldn't get it to
work. I've updated OpenWRT a few times since, but have never
revisisted the DDNS client feature to see if it would work.

> I stopped using ddclient years ago because my D-Link router does the
> updates. It is in a much better position to know when it is
> necessary!

I agree that having the router/firewall do it is the right way to do it.

I've currently got the app provided by Dynu working.

I'll soon be switching to a TP-Link ER650 router/firewall when I
change ISPs. It only supports a few DDNS services, and Dynu isn't
supported (according to the manual).

--
Grant