On 2023-06-04, Jack <ostrof...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On 2023.06.04 16:36, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> You're right, I was not running it as user ddclient.
>>
>> It's not checking to see if the file is owned by the user ddclient,
>> it's checking to see if it's owned by the user _running_
>> ddclient. Either the code needs to be changed to check what the
>> warning says or the warning text needs to be changed.
> I agree - it's probably ASSUMING that it's being run as the user
> ddclient, which obviously isn't always the case.
>>
>> Ignoring that warning, it still doesn't seem to correctly determine
>> whether an update attempt fails or not. As a result of that it tries
>> to do an update every time it runs, even though the IP address has not
>> changed since the last update (which did not fail, regardless of what
>> ddclient thinks).
>
> I think I did see issues filed at github for that problem.  Given
> the lack of any core maintainer, you're probably going in the right
> direction.

I posted an issue on github that mentioned the cache problem, and the
reply was "yes, the cache is broken, but there's nobody to fix it".
One would think that the broken cache would only affect the behavior
when it's first started, so there's a different bug that makes it
think updates are failing when they aren't.