On 13/09/2023 12:28, Peter Humphrey wrote:
A thought on compiling, which I hope some devs will read: I was tempted to
push the system hard at first, with load average and jobs as high as I thought
I could set them. I've come to believe, though, that job control by portage
and /usr/bin/make is weak at very high loads, because I would usually find that
a few packages had failed to compile; also that some complex programs were
sometimes unstable. Therefore I've had to throttle the system to be sure(r) of
correctness. Seems a waste. Thus:

Bear in mind a lot of systems are thermally limited and can't run at full pelt anyway ...

You might find it's actually better (and more efficient) to run at lower loading. Certainly following the kernel lists you get the impression that the CPU regularly goes into thermal throttling under heavy load, and also that using a couple of cores lightly is more efficient than using one core heavily.

It's so difficult to know what's best ... (because too many people make decisions based on their interests, and then when you come along their decisions may conflict with each other and certainly conflict with you ...)

Cheers,
Wol