Am Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 01:01:42AM -0500 schrieb Dale:

> They have added a lot of stuff to mobos since I bought one about a
> decade ago.  Maybe things have improved.  I just like PCIe slots and
> cards.  Gives me more options.

I definitely know the feeling. That is why I went with µATX instead of ITX
nine years ago. I thought “now that I have a beefy machine, I could get a
sound card and start music production” and stuff like that. It never
happened. Aside from an entry-level GPU for some gaming (which broke two
years ago, so I am back on Intel since then) I never used any of my slots.
But in the end, they are — as you say yourself — options, not necessities.

> Given how things have changed tho, I may
> have to give in on some things.  I just like my mobos to be like Linux.
> Have something do one thing and do it well.  When needed, change that
> thing.  ;-)

Over the past years, boards tend to do less and less by themselves. It’s all
been migrated into the CPU; voltage regulation, basic graphics, memory
controller, lots of I/O. The chipset (at least in AMD land, I’ve been out of
touch with Intel for a while now) basically determines the amount of
*additional* I/O. The Deskmini X300 mini-PC that I mentioned earlier
actually has no chipset on its board, everything is done by the CPU.

What irks me is again market segmentation. Even though Ryzen CPUs have the
capability of 10 Gbps USB 3.1 Gen 2 built-in, the low-end boards do not
route that out, not even at least one.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

The only thing that makes some people bearable is their absence.