Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 8, 2023 at 10:56 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I use Konsole a lot, that thing within KDE that acts like a console.
> > Anyway, I'm running a offline file system check on a rather large file
> > system.  For some reason, Konsole decided to crash.  I can see the file
> > system is still running with top, ps etc but I can't see anything to
> > know what it is doing.  Is there a way to get that back?  Should I kill
> > it and restart now that Konsole is running again?  I'd think a regular
> > term signal would give it a safe stopping place but still kinda chicken
> > to do it.  Then again, what if it stops and needs my input or worse yet,
> > it displays a error that I can't see but I need to know and see?
> >
> > Any thoughts?  Is there a way to get it back?  Kill it and restart?  Do
> > nothing and hope for the best?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-)  :-)
>
> I would suggest you learn screen - a very simple app that allows you to
> start an app and then disconnect from it. You can then log out, close
> your terminal, or in your case if konsole really crashed, you just open
> a new konsole and reconnect.
>
> The screen process keeps all the terminal output so you can review
> it while the process is running or after it has finished.
>
> I do not know how to reliably get access to your process if it's
> really still running. Someone else here can probably give you
> better instructions on that.
>
> HTH,
> Mark

I was hoping I would catch a real quick response, even tho that wasn't
very likely.  After about 45 minutes or so, I did a pkill on it.  I seem
to recall it is about the same as a ctrl c which is a polite 'stop what
you doing' when safely possible, in most cases anyway.  I then started a
new screen process and restarted the file system check.  It's still
working on it on the other desktop.  So, even tho I hadn't read your
reply yet, I still did what you advised.  It's running in a screen
process now.  I can reattach if Konsole dies again.  Good advice tho.
Should have did that before.  ;-)

I don't know what happened to Konsole tho.  It's crashed once before a
month or so ago and then again a bit ago.  Before that, I can't recall
it ever crashing on me before.  It appears someone is adding a feature
that includes the occasional crash as a added bonus.  ROFL

I'm glad I made new backups.  Before Konsole crashed, it was spitting
out a LOT of stuff that I'm not sure is good.  It even mentioned
possible lost data.  I got a new 18TB hard drive and was in the process
of moving data to it and resizing the file system when this all
started.  I can't mount right now so no idea if it is still there or
not.  Now let us pray.

Dale

:-)  :-)