Dale wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 8, 2023 at 10:56 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Howdy,
>> >
>> > I use Konsole a lot, that thing within KDE that acts like a console.
>> > Anyway, I'm running a offline file system check on a rather large file
>> > system.  For some reason, Konsole decided to crash.  I can see the file
>> > system is still running with top, ps etc but I can't see anything to
>> > know what it is doing.  Is there a way to get that back?  Should I kill
>> > it and restart now that Konsole is running again?  I'd think a regular
>> > term signal would give it a safe stopping place but still kinda chicken
>> > to do it.  Then again, what if it stops and needs my input or worse
>> yet,
>> > it displays a error that I can't see but I need to know and see?
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?  Is there a way to get it back?  Kill it and restart?  Do
>> > nothing and hope for the best?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Dale
>> >
>> > :-)  :-)
>>
>> I would suggest you learn screen - a very simple app that allows you to
>> start an app and then disconnect from it. You can then log out, close
>> your terminal, or in your case if konsole really crashed, you just open
>> a new konsole and reconnect.
>>
>> The screen process keeps all the terminal output so you can review
>> it while the process is running or after it has finished.
>>
>> I do not know how to reliably get access to your process if it's
>> really still running. Someone else here can probably give you
>> better instructions on that.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mark
>>

> I was hoping I would catch a real quick response, even tho that wasn't
> very likely.  After about 45 minutes or so, I did a pkill on it.  I
> seem to recall it is about the same as a ctrl c which is a polite
> 'stop what you doing' when safely possible, in most cases anyway.  I
> then started a new screen process and restarted the file system
> check.  It's still working on it on the other desktop.  So, even tho I
> hadn't read your reply yet, I still did what you advised.  It's
> running in a screen process now.  I can reattach if Konsole dies
> again.  Good advice tho.  Should have did that before.  ;-)
>
> I don't know what happened to Konsole tho.  It's crashed once before a
> month or so ago and then again a bit ago.  Before that, I can't recall
> it ever crashing on me before.  It appears someone is adding a feature
> that includes the occasional crash as a added bonus.  ROFL
>
> I'm glad I made new backups.  Before Konsole crashed, it was spitting
> out a LOT of stuff that I'm not sure is good.  It even mentioned
> possible lost data.  I got a new 18TB hard drive and was in the
> process of moving data to it and resizing the file system when this
> all started.  I can't mount right now so no idea if it is still there
> or not.  Now let us pray.

> [...]

Just as a update.  The file system I was trying to do a file system
check on was my large one, about 40TBs worth.  While running the file
system check, it started using HUGE amounts of memory.  It used almost
all my 32GBs and most of swap as well.  It couldn't finish due to not
enough memory, it literally crashed itself.  So, I don't know if this is
because of some huge problem or what but if this is expected behavior,
don't try to do a file system check on devices that large unless you
have a LOT of memory.

I ended up recreating the LVM devices from scratch and redoing the
encryption as well.  I have backups tho.  This all started when using
pvmove to replace a hard drive with a larger drive.  I guess pvmove
isn't always safe.  It took going on two days to move.

Oh, Mark had good advice too.  Do important stuff in screen just in case
something crashes, like Konsole.  :/

Thanks.  Hope someone learns from my boo boo.

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S.  I currently have my backup system on my old Gigabyte 770T mobo
and friends.  It is still a bit slower than copying when no encryption
is used so I guess encryption does slow things down a bit.  That said,
the CPU does hang around 50% most of the time.  htop doesn't show what
is using that so it must be IO or encryption.  Or something kernel
related that htop doesn't show.  No idea.