Howdy,

I finally got through with my backup restore.  I had shutdown the NAS
box with Ubuntu on it since I was done with it.  I wanted to do some
updates and check some other stuff, still learning how Ubuntu works, so
I rebooted it.  I didn't hook up the drives with my backups on them
since I don't need them to update and such.  The network not only
doesn't come up, it is just plain dead.  The LEDs on the card are out,
the router shows no connection either, not even as inactive.  I did a
LOT of searching.  Found others with similar problems but nothing
helped.  I found one thread that was recent and exactly my problem.  It
appears that after some attempts to figure it out, the guru trying to
help ran out of ideas.  I'll post a link below.  [1]  It's kinda hard to
post info since I have no way to get it from the NAS box to my main rig
since the network isn't working.  That said, when I run lshw -C network,
it shows it as being disabled.  It looks just like the thread linked below.

Since this is a built in network port and there is a history of issues
with those things with me, I installed a PCIe network card.  It shows up
the same way, disabled.  I rebooted the router just in case.  I also
checked the BIOS to be sure it was enabled there, some glitch or
something could have disabled it.  It shows up as enabled.  I checked
the cable but then I thought of a way to rule out hardware.  I booted a
Knoppix system that I have on the Ventoy USB stick.  I still love that
thing.  :-D  The network came up and worked just fine without me doing a
single thing.  I tried another image, can't recall which, and the
network worked in it too.  I then said to heck with it, pulled out a
spare hard drive and put it in place of the current drive with Ubuntu on
it.  I then tried to install Debian.  Guess what, the network doesn't
work with it either.  So, boot from USB image, network works.  Boot from
a hard drive, network dead.

Since the Ubuntu forums are no help, searching didn't help, my last
resort is to ask here, on a Gentoo forum.  :/  I figure there may be a
few people here that use Ubuntu on some system and are familiar with
this.  Given it works on Knoppix and such, it has to be something
related to Ubuntu and I guess Debian as well.  I downloaded both those
images a while back.  My first instinct, the updates broke something.
What's odd, it doesn't work with the USB Debian/Ubuntu images either and
it worked fine before when I installed from it.

Anyone here have ideas?  Keep in mind, that thing uses systemd.  I
thought I hated that before.  I truly hate that thing now.  Trying to
figure out how to restart something is like pulling teeth with no pain
meds.  Heck, I have to google just to find out what the name of the
service is because most make no sense.  Still, I'd like to get it
working.  If not, the 770T may end up with Gentoo yet.

[1]  https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2483647

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)