Michael wrote:
> On Monday, 16 October 2023 10:15:03 BST Tsukasa Mcp_Reznor wrote:
>> Well, you're probably gonna have to spam us some more info.
>>
>> On the working knoppix boot, spam lspci showing what driver is loaded.  then
>> spam it on ubuntu to verify if it's loaded there as well.
>>
>> dmesg for the relevant parts on both would also help.
>>
>> I'd make sure ubuntu has linux-firmware installed, could simply be failing
>> if it's missing.
>>
>> ifconfig could show if it is loaded and just doesn't have an ip assigned, if
>> the mac address says 00:00:00:00:00 that'd be a different problem.
> [snip ...]
>
> >From what I recall Ubuntu has been chopping & changing its network scripts
> >on
> a regular basis.  So in the first instance check what you're running on this
> system:
>
> systemctl status systemd-networkd
>
> or
>
> systemctl status NetworkManager
>
> I think the server version does not have NetworkManager and as your thread
> says, netplan is now (since early 2023?) used to configure the network
> connections:
>
> netplan status
>
> If netplan is running with renderer networkd, check the contents of your /etc/
> netplan/01-netcfg.yaml, which you list your ethernet NIC and include "dhcp4:
> yes", then run:
>
> sudo netplan generate
> sudo netplan apply
>
> You may have to also restart networkd service:
>
> sudo systemctl restart systemd-networkd
>
> If the above does not work, you'll need to fish for error messages in dmesg
> and by running journalctl.

This is the problem.  The only place it shows up is where it shows it is
disabled.  I can't get a status or anything of it anywhere else because
it doesn't exist.  I didn't see anything in dmesg, since it doesn't
exist, nor can I check it with netplan, again, since it doesn't exist.
At that point, it's as if the network isn't even there at all as
hardware.  I did look in the netplan config file, it looks just like
what others have posted except that since it finds no network card, it
lists no device as being found.  I did remember and had installed
ifconfig.  It showed nothing but the lo network.  Nothing else.

Here's another interesting point.  Before I went to take a nap, I
shutdown the rig.  Just a normal shutdown.  After I read the replies
here, I booted the machine back up.  Guess what, the network is working
again.  So, now I can login and copy and paste some info.  Here goes.

root@nas:~# cat /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml
# This is the network config written by 'subiquity'
network:
  ethernets:
    enp3s0:
      dhcp4: true
  version: 2
root@nas:~#

I don't recall the enp3s0 being listed when it was not working.  I
assume it gets added when it detects it during the boot process.  The
rest looks the same.

This is from dmesg, using grep to narrow the info down a bit.

root@nas:~# dmesg | grep enp3
[    2.603140] r8169 0000:03:00.0 enp3s0: renamed from eth0
[  103.795108] r8169 0000:03:00.0 enp3s0: Link is Down
[  106.016319] r8169 0000:03:00.0 enp3s0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow
control rx/tx
[  106.016353] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): enp3s0: link becomes ready
root@nas:~#

When I looked for that before, it returned nothing.  I even dropped down
to only looking for 'enp' to see if it saw either card since I installed
a PCIe card.  It didn't.  I didn't know you could run 'netplan status'
and not specify a device so I never ran that.  I'll try to remember that
because I suspect this could happen again.  I guess that is like ifconfig.

Mark, the command nmcli you listed isn't installed on this machine as it
uses netplan.  It seems netplan is new so maybe it is a little buggy
right now.  I read that if I have netplan, I shouldn't install other
network managers, tools like ifconfig to see things is OK but don't use
those to "manage" the network.  The use of two network managers can and
likely will cause a clash.  That said, I do have ip and route
installed.  Given it is working now, well, no need posting the working
results.  ;-)  Since Michael mentioned that netplan is new, that
explains why I wasn't getting many hits when searching.  It's new.
There likely isn't many hits to find when searching, yet.

Anyway, at the moment it is working but given this development, I may
install Gentoo when I get a chance.  I need something that I can work
with when it isn't working.  If nothing else, I need to be able to get
info so I can get help.  Heck, when it didn't work, I didn't even know
what tool it used to manage the network at all.  It took me hours just
to find that out.  Add in the systemd thingy, I'm not real pleased.  I
do like that it only takes a few minutes to install, update and such
tho.  Plus, I may be able to get the encryption stuff to work better.
I'll be making my own kernel.

Thanks for the help.  I suspect it just may stop working again tho.  I'm
not to trusting.

Dale

:-)  :-)