looking for known_hosts2 (and also /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts and
/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts2)  also happens on my machines, both a debian install
and my gentoo machine, the files not being present does not prevent the ssh
connection from working though. So this is probably not the issue.

Judging from comments [1] it appears to be an undocumented legacy feature.

[1]
https://github.com/search?q=repo%3Aopenssh%2Fopenssh-portable+known_hosts2&type=commits