On 2024-01-08, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

> On 1/8/24 01:41, Nuno Silva wrote:

>>> Trying to run: "ssh -vv" I get:
>>>
>>> debug1: Authenticating to 10.0.0.130:22 as 'Glen Server'
>>> debug1: load_hostkeys: fopen /home/joseph/.ssh/known_hosts2: No such
>>> file or directory
>>>
>>> Where is it taking the : "known_hosts2" in home directory .ssh/ I only
>>> have file "known_hosts"
>>> In /etc/ssh/sshd_config (computer ssh is initiated from) I can not
>>> find any reference to "known_hosts2"
>>>
>>> Nor, windows \ProgramData\ssh\sshd_config contain any reference to
>>> "known_hosts2"
>>
>> I think the file to check would be ssh_config on the client side, not
>> sshd_config. But it's possible it's not mentioned there either, as it
>> seems to be part of the default at least in some systems, see for
>> example
>
> The ssh_config on the client side id default, never changed anything in it.
>
>> https://serverfault.com/questions/1091575/why-does-ssh-think-i-still-have-a-known-hosts2-file
>>
>> This is just the usual approach of a user-specific file not existing
>> unless it is created. I'd say you can just ignore this message and focus
>> on the verbose messages about the authentication mechanisms.
>
> In the link above the suggest fix for "...fix $HOME/.ssh/known_hosts2:
> No such file or directory"
> to add "UserKnownHostsFile ~/.ssh/known_hosts"
> I tried to add it to sshd_config but ssh wouldn't even start.

No, this is not something to fix. This is the ssh utility looking for
that file in one of the default locations and not finding it. That's
just the result of the call which tried to access the file. The same
would happen in known_hosts didn't exist yet.

I mean, you can change the setting if you want (in ssh_config, and not
sshd_config, it probably is not starting because it's not a valid
setting for sshd_config), but you don't have to.

--
Nuno Silva