On 2024-01-30, Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 January 2024 18:15:09 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
>> I need to set up some sort of automated backup on a couple Gentoo
>> machines (typical desktop software development and home use). One of
>> them used rsnapshot in the past but the crontab entries that drove
>> that have vanished :/

The crontabs had not dissappeared, I was looking on the wrong
computer.  Too many terminal windows open...

> You have probably seen the backup packages suggested in this wiki page?

Yep.  Rsnapshot is one of them, and it's what I chose quite a few
years ago.

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Backup
>
> and what's available in the tree:
>
> https://packages.gentoo.org/categories/app-backup

I'll look through the package database and visit some of the home
pages.

> You may also want to consider integral filesystem solutions like btrfs and
> zfs, depending on your needs and how often your data change, as well as
> related scripts; e.g.:

I don't think I'm ready to switch from ext4.