On 2024-01-30, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 3:08 PM Wol <antli...@youngman.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 30/01/2024 19:19, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> > I'd echo the other advice.  It really depends on your goals.
>>
>> If you just want a simple backup, I'd use something like rsync onto lvm
>> or btrfs or something. I've got a little script that sticks today's date
>> onto the snapshot name
>
> So, you've basically described what rsnapshot does, minus half the
> features.  You should consider looking at it.

If you do, read carefully the documentation on intervals and
automation.

It took me an embarassing number of tries to get the intervals and
crontab entries to mesh so it worked the way I wanted. It's not really
that difficult (and it's pretty well documented), but I managed to
combine a misreading of how often and in what order the rsync wrapper
was supposed to run with my chronic inability to grok crontab
specifications. Hilarity ensued.