On 2024-02-06, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> If you want to use snapshots, the filesystem will need to support it. (either
> LVM or ZFS). If you only want to create snapshots on the backupserver, I
> actually don't see much benefit over using rsync.

Upthread I've been told that ZFS snapshots

 1. Require far less disk space than rsync's snapshots.
 2. Are far faster.
 3. Are atomic.

>> If (like rsnapshot/rsync's hard-link scheme) ZFS snapshots are normal
>> directory trees that can be "browsed" with normal filesystem tools,
>> that would be ideal. [I'll do some googling...]
>
> ZFS snapshots can be accessed using normal tools and can even be exposed over
> NFS mounts making it super easy to find the files again.
>
> They are normally not visible though, you need to access them specifically
> using "/filesystem/path/.zfs/snapshot"

Great, that's exactly what I would hope for. I'm reading up on ZFS,
and from what I've gleaned so far, it seems lake ZFS source and ZFS
backup certainly would be ideal.

It's almost like the ZFS filesystem designers had thought about "how
to backup" from the start. Something that all of the old-school
filesystem designers clearly hadn't. :)