On 2024-01-31, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Honestly, at this point I would not run any storage I cared about on
> anything but zfs.  There are just so many benefits.
>
> [...]
>
> In any case, these COW filesystems, much like git, store data in a
> way that makes it very efficient to diff two snapshots and back up
> only the data that has changed. [...]

In order to take advantage of this, I assume that the backup
destination and source both have to be ZFS? Do backup source and
destination need to be in the same filesystem? Or volume? Or Pool?
(I'm not clear on how those differ exactly.) Or can the backup
destination be "unrelated" to the backup source? The primary source of
failure in my world is definitely hardware failure of the disk drive,
so my backup destination is always a separate physical (usually
external) disk drive.

If you'll forgive the analogy, we'll say the the functionality of
rsync (as used by rsnapshot) is built-in to ZFS. Is there an
application that does with ZFS snapshots what the rsnapshot
application itself does with rsync?

I googled for ZFS backup applications, but didn't find anything that
seemed to be widespread and "supported" the way that rsnapshot is.

--
Grant