On Thu, May 9, 2024 at 6:35 PM Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've looked for a adapter.  I couldn't find one.  That's why I
connected to a old rig that had a set of molex cables I could use.  Luckily
I had a molex to sata adapter.  Do you know what they are called so I know
what to search for?  I'd buy a dozen or so just to have extras laying
around.  I just can't find them.  I suspect I'm using the wrong search
terms.

> > Do new motherboards support that PWDIS feature?  I'm looking at the
ASUS Prime X670-P mobo and I can't find anything that says what version of
SATA it has or about the PWDIS option.  I assume it doesn't have it but
assuming means you can be wrong.  I haven't looked at the new power supply
cables yet.  I've bought ATX style ones recently tho.  Look the same as old
ones to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-Female-Adapter-Connector-Drives/dp/B09BJ1J24M

> If these are close then it wouldn't cost a lot to try one out. (<$10)

Sorry, I forgot to address your second question.

It is my understanding - good or bad I'll leave it to you - that newer
motherboards
are moving toward drive power supplied through the motherboard and not
through our old-style power supply cables. I don't think this is in the
market
yet in any big way, but when it arrives it would allow PWDIS to be
controlled through
software which then makes it easier to do 'hot swap' because the drive
isn't hot
when power is disabled. I suspect this is more of a server farm type issue
and
desktop machine users wouldn't be doing this because the form factor of the
machine itself isn't set up for that. However if you were to get some sort
of a
drive cage which you connected to using wider SATA specifications then you
could
disable power to one drive and swap it out without having to power the
machine down.

All supposition on my part. I'll leave it to you to dig deeper if you care.
(I don't !)

Best wish, good luck and happy hunting,
Mark