1. Photo organizing. This includes downloading photos from a Canon
Powershot G6, organizing it in folders (currently done with camera
software), batch renaming them using EXIF information included in
photos, editing EXIF information (currently done with Exifer:
http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/. Unfortunately this is "cardware"
closed source only for Windows)

Have a look at gphoto.

2. Minor photo editing, like red eyes correction, composing whole
images from stitchs (currently done with camera software)

For composing panoramas, try hugin (I wasn't able to get it working, hope your luckier)

3. Creation of slideshows from photographs. I would like to be able to
select some or all of the photographs, maybe add some opening or
closing title, extract headers or footers from EXIF information, edit
transition between photos, add music to the slideshow, adjust the
duration of photos and transition to fit the music, and export a video
in a suitable format to be included in VCD, SVCD or DVD.

I have no idea... but looks like the most horrible kitschy bad-taste thing I ever heard, so I refuse to give you advices about such an horror :-)

4. VCD / SVCD / DVD authoring. If possible I'd like to have a GUI for
doing this, kind of Ulead DVD Workshop, this is, you can add video
files, create menus in a graphical editor, export and burn a project
in different formats (VCD/SVCD/DVD), include the source folder with
the original images in the resulting CD/DVD...

There is a package called dvdauthor. I don't know how mature it is, however... i don't feel the need to author dvds.

m.