glen martin schreef:
<snip>

> I've changed some USE flags deliberately to add features to a package

<snip>

> Despite the USE change, I find that that apache is not being caught
> by "emerge --newuse world".

<snip>
> I added "threads nptlonly mpm-worker" to USE in make.conf.  I've
> probably made some other changes to USE since my last world rebuild.
>  I've also done an emerge --sync. Then:

<snip of all the proof that the assessment is correct>

> So, any thoughts on why "emerge --newuse" doesn't want to rebuild
> apache?

Well, assuming it's not a bug (what version of Portage are you using?)
then is it possible that apache is neither in your world file, nor a
dependency of something that is (does it show up in the list of a
depclean -p)? That's the only reason I can think of that the combination
of --update and --deep wouldn't recognize that apache is one of the
packages that should be considered for --newuse.

HTH,
Holly