glen martin wrote:

note the lack of apache.  Now:

<snip>
# emerge --pretend --verbose apache

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-www/apache-2.0.55  +apache2 -debug -doc +ldap
-mpm-leader -mpm-peruser -mpm-prefork -mpm-threadpool +mpm-worker*
-no-suexec (-selinux) +ssl -static-modules +threads* 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
Maybe you need "apache2" instead of "apache" USE flag?

Your understanding of --newuse matches mine.  I did notice
a similiar problem this past week.  I changed "-ffmpeg" to
"ffmpeg".  Ran emerge -uDNav and only kb3 was found.
The next day, emerge -uDNav found xine-lib.  So I too am
questioning whether --newuse is working properly in
Portage 2.0.51.22-r3.

HTH,
Roy