Correct. Just to be sure, do emerge -up kde first, and if NS (new slot) is
before each kde package, you're ready to go. Also it's a good idea to do a :

cp -a /home/user/.kde3.4 .kde.old

for a backup of your user configs. Maybe also back up a few config files
in /usr/kde/3.4/share/config.  Really, upgrading to 3.5 is painless and
simple.

Robert Crawford