On Thursday 12 January 2006 16:21, Dale wrote:
> John Myers wrote:
> >On Thursday 12 January 2006 13:54, Dale Kirkley wrote:
> >>" An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1
> >><whatever email address I am trying to send to> Relaying denied. Please
> >>verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and
> >> try again."
> >
> >Sounds like you need to check your SMTP Authentication settings. Go to
> >     Edit -> Mail and Newsgroups Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP)
> >and verify that the settings are correct, especially the user name
> > setting.
>
> Well, I am in Mozilla and it just started working again.
>
> This email is from Mozilla.  If you get this, it works, for now anyway.
> I may be back though.  Kmail stopped for a while then started up again.
> Now Mozilla works again.  I hope.
>
> This is confusing me.
I saw something similar with a client.  she was using outlook express and on
an sbc dsl connection.  but was sending email for her roadrunner account.
she was on sbc's net, and using sbc's mail server, but sometimes, not always,
but most of the time, it would tell her that relaying was denied because of
an invalid FROM address.  looked like there were several actual mail servers
behind a round-robin dns name and some had settings to filter on the from and
only allow sbcglobal.net in the from.  what a pain in the rear.

--
John Jolet
Your On-Demand IT Department