Dale wrote:

Well, I can't even get Mozilla to open any more.  I even created a
new user from scratch and it still will not start.  I downloaded a
new snapshot and am about to start a new install.

I've never seen someone so eager to reinstall for so little.

Honestly.... Mozilla won't start, so you're reinstalling  the entire OS?
How... Windows-like.

I don't even know where to start to fix this one.

First thing you might want to do is

killall -9 mozilla-bin

I have often found that if Moz (or Firefox) crashes, the process is
still running, and therefore new instances won't open.

Look in kdesysguard (or whatever the KDE System Monitor is called), or
top, and you might see some 5 instances of mozilla-bin are already
running (invisibly).

Kill those, and  Mozilla may well start. Whether your problem will be
solved is another question, but we'll come to that, if not.

HTH,
Holly