Thanks for the advice,

To the best of my knoledge Kernel 2.6.15.1 was downloaded and installed. I haven't made any change with respect to devfs or udev. How should i make the migration? And I haven't used etc-update. What should I start with?

Again thanks from Fredrik
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Fish" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ... fails to open device '/dev/hda2' after update

On 1/28/06, Fredrik Lundgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
and all appeared to go well (lots of updates) but when I rebooted i got
----
* checking root filesystem ...
Failed to open the device '/dev/hda2': No such file or directory
* Filesystem couldn't be fixed: (Give root password for maintenance
    (or Control D to continue):_

Did you update the kernel version?  Are you still using devfs?  If so,
devfs has been removed from current kernels and you need to migrate to
udev.

Also, be sure to run etc-update, and fixup your configuration files in
/etc/conf.d.  Lots of stuff moved from /etc/rc.conf to /etc/conf.d/
files in the last 6 months, so you may have some issue there.
Particularly there were changes in baselayout that decide whether to
startup devfs or udev.

-Richard