A.R.S. KA9QLQ Alvin Koffman schreef:
> It recognises my Nvida card [fx 5200] but when you get to the stage
> where the icons dissapear as stuff loads, when the last one goes the
> monitor shuts off. as is't booting from a cd there's no error log and
> nofb didn't help.
>
> Like I said some day Gentoo will get there, but right now it's not
> stable.

The graphical installer is not the distribution. The fact that the
installer doesn't work for you is not the same as "Gentoo is not stable".

The graphical installer is indeed not stable, but "we all" knew that (or
we would have if we read the release notes).

Is there some reason that you can't use the current CD to install in the
"traditional" manner (without X), or with an ncurses interface (again,
without X), or conversely use the previous install CD (that doesn't have
a graphical installer), to install Gentoo?

Also, you might check the forums and bugs.gentoo.org to see if this is a
known problem (you seem to be not the first having signal loss from the
install CD on this list) and if there is a workaround.

Or you could just go on as you are doing and blow us off as "unstable".

Holly