> Gentoo is pretty stable.. the installer isn't
> try the old way it's way better and makes you more familiar with your system

I just finished (about a week ago) my first non-binary install of a
linux distribution, compiling from a stage3, starting with the 2006.0
Gentoo Minimal Install CD. As someone who is still relatively new to
Linux, I can attest that this was not very difficult, it simply
requires patience and a lot of looking things up. Now that I've got my
system up and running, I couldn't be happier

I'd recommend trying this route, I'm glad I did. If I had gone with a
graphical installer, I wouldn't know half of what I know now about
Gentoo.. it was a great learning process.

Dave