On Friday 17 March 2006 15:02, Bruno Lustosa wrote:
> Good question :)
> But one way to speed this up is to use CDB, so that instead of keeping
> cache in separate files, it's all in one, resulting in a *much* faster
> cache update.
> There are directions here:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_speed_up_portage_with_cdb

And if you go back one step you'll find other ways to speed up Portage.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Index:TIP#Portage_Speed
What I do is keep $PORTDIR and $DISTDIR on seperate partitions. Having a small
partition for $PORTDIR ensures that all of Portage will be in the same place
on the harddrive. $DISTDIR is on a separate partition because otherwise it
wouldn't be a small partition. ;) $PKGDIR is not on a separate partition
because I don't use it. Also Portage 2.1 (which is not supported by cdb) is
nice. :)

--
Bo Andresen