On 3/17/06, Thomas T. Veldhouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bruno Lustosa wrote:
> > Good question :)
> > But one way to speed this up is to use CDB, so that instead of keeping
> > cache in separate files, it's all in one, resulting in a *much* faster
> > cache update.
> > There are directions here:
> >
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_speed_up_portage_with_cdb
> >

> Interesting ... and thanks for the tip.  I am concerned about all the
> warnings of breakage though.  I need this on my server, which is my
> production firewall at the moment.  I would hate to have this fail.

A safer way is to update to a newer version of portage.
In portage-2.1 the cache update code is rewritten and it is much faster
then before (but maybe not as fast as CDB).

The biggest reason for the slower update now compared to a year ago,
is that the total number of packages in the tree have increased. The old
code did not handle this very well.

Since this is a server, you probably don't use kde. Excluding all kde split
packages from the portage tree will speed things up a lot.
Create an rsync exclude file and add  RSYNC_EXCLUDE="path_to_file" to
your make.conf.  Look in man pages for rsync for details.

/Andreas