On 5/7/06, Adrian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Greetings.  I'm trying to set up a new Gentoo box.

I downloaded the latest portage snapshot, untared it and ran

emerge regen

you mean emerge --metadata don't you?! because that's all you need
after a snapshot update.

now everything I try to emerge I get:

Security Violation: A file exists that is not in the manifest

That's caused because newer versions of emerge use a feature called
"strict" that checks the manifest and files comparing them (using md5,
if I'm not mistaken). You can:

1) bypass this by using FEATURES="-strict" on make.conf.
2) emerge-webrsync && emerge --metadata

Both of them work for me, but I strongly suggest the second because
strict is a good feature.

From doing a google, it looks like i need to run

emerge sync

in order to fix this.  However, if I could sync then I wouldn't be
doing this.  Everytime I try to sync it times out and I never finish.
I'm on dial-up, so it's a bit slow.  I am trying to install
emerge-delta-webrsync and try from there, but of course, I can't emerge
anything . . .

download the mirrorselect tool and choose another server for rsync,
then update (or use it to update with output redirection) your
make.conf and be happy.

If you REALLY need anything installed, even in order to fix your
portage or anything like that, use the "-strict" option to do whatever
it takes to put your portage back in order, then REMOVE THE "-strict"
option and try again till it works (you can upgrade portage, python,
etc).

Good luck,

--
Daniel da Veiga