Thanks to all who have replied, but my problem *is not* with my mouse.
I went through that issue the very first time I installed Gentoo and
know that I have to change it to /dev/psaux.

I can boot into kde.  However ...

1)  I can't view some things in full screen.  For instance, I play the
game Blobwars and if I try to set it to use full screen mode, the game
shows in the middle of the screen, the same size as it was when it was
in a "window" before "full screen mode is selected".  The rest of the
screen is black.

2) I want to get 3 D accelleration working.  Before my screw up, I was
using ati-drivers and everything was fine.  When xorg 7 came out, I
removed the previous instance of xorg and reinstalled, but I kept the
previous xorg.conf file.

However, now (because of *my* screwup), I had to install fresh.  So I
got everything up and running and then tried to install ati-drivers.
the installation is successful.  Then, I run 'aticonfig --initial
--input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf', which uses the original xorg.conf file.
Again kde starts up, lets me log in, goes through it's routine of
initiallizing the peripherals and then, when the window that gives the
kde tip appears, it is garbled and my system freezes.

These are the reasons that I think some setting is wrong.  Before xorg
7, when I ran xorg -configure, I got prompeted to enter my horizontal
and vertical sync and the resolutions I wanted to use and they were put
into the xorg.conf file.  Now I get no prompt.

Also some setting has to be wrong somewhere because if I use I go into
Control panel under peripherals and display, I can't set anything - I
does detect my default resolution of 1280x1024, but the Refresh Rate
shows as -19557 Hz.

I've gone through all the replies in this thread, but no where is there
a one to one example of what I am seeing in xorg.conf.

I've tried following the X Server Configuration HOW-TO, but no where in
that is there something that corresponds to this:

SubSection "Display"
>               Viewport   0 0
>               Depth     24
>       EndSubSection

I understand what the 24 means, but what is Viewport?  I tried setting
this to 1280 1024, which is my max monitor resolution, but it doesn't
have any affect.

Regards,

Colleen

--