Colleen Beamer wrote:
> Thanks to all who have replied, but my problem *is not* with my mouse.
> I went through that issue the very first time I installed Gentoo and
> know that I have to change it to /dev/psaux.
>
> I can boot into kde.  However ...

As root:

$ emerge -av app-admin/eselect-opengl --noreplace
$ eselect opengl list

and then try switching to ati opengl libs if it gives you the choice?

$ eselect opengl set ati/radeon/etc

This is where I usually screw up with nVidia - but - who knows!

If you want to have your monitor's modelines scanned, as well as the
Horiz/Vert modes scanned, you can also:

$ emerge -av ddcxinfo-knoppix

I've found this tool invaluable when trying to scan the proper modes for
my monitor. 99% of the time, this tool does the trick for me. You simply
run it as such:

$ ddcxinfo-knoppix # This will show you how it works.

Then you might try something like:

$ ddcxinfo-knoppix -firstmode 1024x768 -modelines -monitor -modes \
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then edit your xorg.conf as you see fit - taking care to remember that
the above tool will add it's own "Monitor" section, so you may want to
comment out the original.

These are some tricks that work for me, but as always - YMMV!

Good luck with Xorg, that many tentacled beast that it is.

-Jeff