Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 13:47:12 -0600 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> Is this possible withou really negative impact of some sort.
>
> If this is a question (please clarify a bit, and use question marks
> when appropriate!):  Of course it has a negative impact -- opposed to
> built-in storage, which should be faster than network based storage :-)

Did you not see the rest of the post? (Reposted below)

    Is this possible withou[t] really negative impact of some
    sort:[colon added]

    Install as many HDD as mobo allows maybe adding a few more with
    pci controllsers. (all sata if possible)

    Install Gentoo as host OS on a smallish partition or drive.  Mount
    all remaining drives as CIFS mounts accessable from samba or smb
    from host or windowsXP clients.  All this over gigabit ethernet.

> But if you have Windows clients, that's almost the only option you
> have. Well, you could go with WebDAV, but I wouldn't recommend that,
> it's most probably not nearly as stable as Samba.

No, that isn't true.  If you mean mounting the hosts HDD as cifs
mounts.  Windows machines have no trouble accessing host gentoo drives
with no special setup other than samba running.

> Even for Linux/Unix clients (given they have proper CIFS/SMB support)
> Samba is a capable option for a networked file system.

It is clear enough that samba and cifs is required to network with
windows machines... that I know going in.

The question once again was, can one install a working gentoo OS on a
machine and then mount some number of the machines on board HDD as
cifs mounts to be accessed with samba internally by the host OS as well
as thru smb from any networked computers?

What I want here is to know if the host OS can be made to see its own
native drives as cifs mounted shares.

The drives would be formatted NTFS and would be the basis of a home
built NAS [Network Attached Storage].  I want them all NTFS to feed a
space hungry Event Videography business.

I don't want to dink around with mounting as NTFS on linux since it
really isn't yet supported, but want to access these drives solely
thru samba.

> OTOH, there's Windows SFU, which you can use to mount NFS shares, but I
> heard it's a pain in the *** to set it up.

You heard right.  It does work once you understand the setup but then
far as I know NFS has some inherent bottleneck to moving large files
anyway.  (That is hearsay... not from experience.. I had no really
large files to move back when I had Windows SFU set up nor was I
concerned with that)